Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas from Ghana!

The other day my parents gave me a DVD they had received from some friends who had visited us in Ghana and shot footage of my at drum lessons in Ghana when I was 10 or 11. Interesting stuff. I'll have to import some of it and put a clip up on YouTube.
One of the great things about growing up in Ghana is that I got to take drum lessons from guys who made a living playing the proverbs of their people. One of the other cool things was that I was exposed to so many incredible varieties of local music in a place where making music is just part of everyday life - it's a form of expression meant to be shared with others in your community, just like dance and work and food.
I found some cassette tapes of Ghanaian music, and decided I'm going to put them into digital format over the next couple days. I started doing this a few years ago, so have a bunch of MP3s of Ghanaian music and will try to post some here.
Here's an MP3 of the Ghanaian gospel group 'Daughters of Glorious Jesus'. Groovy stuff. =) Now you know where Hiram gets his groove.


ASOMDWEHENE - DAUGHTERS OF GLORIOUS JESUS  

No comments: