Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sunset in Moster

Today I took a bus ride to visit my friend Håkon, who grew up in MosterS7302202.JPG on the west coast of Norway. He leads worship for a church in London, but was visiting his parents this week and invited me to come and visit. I took the bus from Odda to Haugesund, skirting Folgefonne - the giant glacier to the west - and then traveling north from Haugesund through the Bømlo tunnel to Føyno, an island where the road makes a giant fork. Håkon picked me up there and we went over the long bridge to the island of Moster.S7302209.JPG
This place is beautiful! We took a ride in his family's outboard speedboat around the islands that surround Moster. The water was so calm you wouldn't know we were on the ocean except for all the seagulls and the smell of the ocean and the taste of salt water on the wind. My camera froze up after a bit, so I didn't get as many shots as I'd like, but it unfroze long enough for me to get a shot of the sunset at 10pm.
S7302219.JPGThe island of Moster, and particularly the landmark of Siggjo was the first place where Christian missionaries came to Norway. Siggjo is a peak on the island just north of where Håkon lives, and we might climb it tomorrow. Håkon says Moster can be bitter during the winter, but they hardly get any snow - just a lot of wind and waves. I'll be here until thursday, so hopefully the camera will unfreeze and I can get more shots.



No comments: